Thursday, November 25, 2010

Life without Music

It Thanksgiving. Time to be thankful. And there are so many things to be thankful for, especially family, friends and my sweet little girls.

But I am especially thankful for music. In the spring my CD collection that I keep in my car went missing. I thought it had been stolen. My family I'm sure was tired of hearing me state factually (There's a current ongoing sisterly debate about what is whining and what is stating facts) that I couldn't believe it was gone and I was so upset. It was about twenty years worth of CDs. It takes a long time to collect that many, and each CD had it's own memories that went along with it.

But I recently discovered that they were actually in my Dad's possession. Not sure how they got there. But I was SO excited to have them back. And in looking through them with glee, I decided I would share with you the one's that I would have missed the most if they had never found their way back to me. So, here's my favs.

Beth Nielsen Chapman- Sand and Water
Best Lyrics.

I am somewhat drawn to sad and melancholy music. Okay I'm lying to myself.  I am drawn to sad and melancholy music. And this is one of the bests. She wrote these songs shortly after the death of her husband. Great, great lyrics. Good melodies. Definitely an all time great.

East Mountain South- East Mountain South
Best Harmonies.

I tend to think that two voices together always sound better than one. And I would always much rather sing with someone else than sing by myself. And these harmonies are wonderful. Love it.

Patty Griffin- Living with Ghosts and Children Running Through.
Best Folk.

Patty will always be top five music favs. I lean toward acoustic, folk music and she is the queen. Incredible voice, great lyrics, good melodies.

Matthew Perryman Jones-
Best Melodies.

Any of his CDs. I think I'm partial to him for nostalgic reasons. Reminds me of the old days of hanging out at Eddie's Attic. I don't think he's written a melody that I didn't like.

Allison Krauss- Forget About It
Best Breakup.

If you've been dumped and you want to well in your misery. This is my go to CD. Love it.

Julie Miller-Meet Julie Miller
Best Christian

Unique voice, wonderful lyrics. I would have been especially upset about this one because they don't make it anymore and I think I paid about $50 for it on ebay years ago.

Needtobreathe- Outsiders
Best Upbeat/Driving

My current favorite band. I like that they sound kind of earthy, and it is more upbeat than what I usually listen to.

Nickel Creek- Why Should the Fire Die
Best Musical Talent

I like this CD because it's a little off beat. And they are incredibly gifted in the musical skill department. Plus great harmonies.

Trisha Yearwood- Real Live Woman
Best Vocals

Trisha will probably always be my favorite voice to listen to. Plus she's a Georgia girl. This CD is my favorite. Her cover of Linda Ronstadt- Try Me Again one of my favorite songs ever.

Mary Chapin Carpenter- Time Sex Love
Best Reminiscent

If I want to sit and ponder about my life and what has been, this is the cd I put in. Wonderful nostalgic lyrics.

So that's it. My taste in music in a nutshell.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with all your musical choices. BUT just to be straight you did WHINE about your cds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not even know your cd's were missing, you should have asked me first and you would not have had to make any factual statements. ;-)

    ReplyDelete